Hoverboard explosions are becoming more and more common. Many people have experienced injuries, including young children who were simply curious. This article will explore can hoverboards explode, the reasons why they may be combusting, and what you can do to protect yourself or your loved ones.
Hoverboard fires are not a new phenomenon. They’ve been in the news for this reason since 2015 when the first stories of hoverboard explosions started blowing up. But why? Is it because of cheaply made materials, or is there another reason? Let’s explore some common reasons why hoverboards explode, and how you can protect yourself from them.
Why do Hoverboards Explode?
One major reason why hoverboards explode has to do with how they are made. There is no standard for the manufacturing of hoverboards when it was first introduced in the market, so many come from warehouses with different conditions. When you combine varying temperature levels and differences in humidity, this can cause components in your board to expand or contract at different rates.
Lithium-ion batteries, which are found in many products like cell phones, tablets, and laptops react to these changing conditions, they can swell up. This swelling can cause the battery to short circuit or even catch on fire.
Another reason why hoverboards explode is that they are often over-charged. Many times, the board won’t fully charge after you plug it in. So, people have started to buy their own chargers or even remove the battery and plug it into a computer with a USB cord. However, this can be dangerous because you aren’t sure what kind of charger to use or how much power your personal computer is outputting.
Read Also: New Laws for Hoverboard
Faulty Hoverboard Charger
Another reason why hoverboards explode may relate to the type of charger that you are using. Many of the cheap chargers that come with the board or that you buy from an off-brand can cause problems, because they do not have safety features built in to prevent overcharging and overheating.
Faulty Hoverboard Wiring
In rare cases, faulty wiring can cause a fire or explosion in your hoverboard. If you notice that your board is overheating and the battery isn’t the cause, it may be time to check out all of the wirings in your board. Sometimes, this can be a fixable issue, but other times it means it’s time for a new board.
Read Also: Are hoverboards allowed on airplanes?
The number one reason why people disagree about whether or not hoverboards explode is that they simply don’t understand what’s happening with their board. Some people will see a scorch mark and assume the battery exploded. Others may read about overcharging issues and think that the wiring is to blame. It’s important to remember that these are all issues associated with one another, but there are ways you can keep yourself safe.
Tips to Avoid Hoverboard Explode
First, you should always buy from a reputable store or brand. If there have been reports that the company has treated customers unfairly, you should probably steer clear of buying from them. In some cases, companies may just not be taking care of their customers and their products, and it’s possible that this could lead to an explosion.
Next, you should always buy a hoverboard that has UL certification. If the board is certified, it means the battery and wiring have gone through rigorous safety tests to make sure they are safe for consumers to use. Also, if your board does catch on fire or explode somehow, having a certification can help with legal issues down the line.
If possible, it’s always a good idea to buy the original charger for your board, or make sure you are buying one that is designed specifically for hoverboards. You should never overcharge your board or even let it overheat while charging and you should immediately disconnect it when it feels too hot. Finally, if your board does catch on fire or explode, you should immediately disconnect it and let it burn.
Lithium-ion batteries are not bad! However, we just need to be more careful about how we use them and monitor the quality of our battery chargers. By following these tips—and keeping an eye on your board as it charges, you can make sure that your hoverboard will last as long as possible
What Should You Do If Your Hoverboard Explodes?
In case of a hoverboard explosion you need to follow the below-mentioned points:
- Immediately stop your hoverboard and disconnect it.
- Do not stand near or try to extinguish the flames with water. Water may cause an explosion in some cases. So, do not fuel the fire by using water or any other combustible liquids.
- If any person has got injured due to fire then take the injured person to the nearest hospital and seek medical attention immediately.
- Also, take pictures of damages and email them to your Hoverboard manufacturing company.
How to Avoid a Hoverboard Explosion? Step by Step Guide
Following are the steps you need to follow in order to avoid a Hoverboard explosion:
- You need to make sure that your hoverboard has UL Certification which assures its safety and security.
- Always buy the original charger for your board or one which is completely compatible with lithium-ion batteries. And when the charge starts heating up never ignore it instead disconnect it immediately.
- After charging, disconnect it and leave it to cool down for at least one hour.
- Avoid overcharging your board, as this might lead to an explosion so always keep a check on the charge levels if they start getting higher take immediate measures and recharge it.
- The battery used in the hoverboard is extremely sensitive and always monitors its heat levels. If it gets too hot you need to disconnect it immediately.
- Always stand at least 2-3 feet away from your board while charging and never overcharge your hoverboard because high temperatures or vents for releasing excess heat can cause fire or explosion which is very dangerous so always avoid any kind of extreme exposure to the board.
- Overheating, overcharging and the use of unauthorized chargers are the major causes that lead to an explosion in hoverboards so always buy a good quality charger.
- Never try to repair your board or battery by yourself because it might be dangerous and cause a fire in some cases. And if you want any kind of replacement part then only use the original parts provided by the self-balancing scooter company.
- Avoid charging your board in a high-temperature area, because it can be very dangerous and may cause an explosion or fire.
- Do not expose your hoverboard to water, if you have any kind of spillage then use a dry cloth to clean it immediately after disconnecting the board from charge.
- Never leave your board plugged in when you are sleeping because it can be dangerous if there is a slow charge, sudden heating up, or leakage of battery which might cause fire or explosion.
- Always try to reduce the weight on the hoverboard as much as possible because any sudden pressure or excess load increases the chances of explosion.
- Never try to repair a hoverboard yourself because it might be dangerous for you. Always contact the original company only if they can provide your board with parts and accessories.
- If you are not using your board for a long time then avoid leaving it plugged in, because overcharging or slow charge during non-use of battery occurs so unplug your board.
- Never use any old charger for your board, or try to charge it by using another device because it might cause fire or explosion in some cases so always buy the original charger only.
- If you see your battery is leaking then remove it immediately and contact your company for replacement of battery if possible, otherwise replace it by yourself.
FAQs – Can Hoverboard Explode?
Q: Is it safe to use Hoverboard?
A: Yes, hoverboards are safe, they can explode if their batteries get overheated, so it is necessary to follow some safety guidelines while using them.
Q: What kind of precautions should be taken while using a Hoverboard?
A: There are many precautions to be taken while riding a hoverboard. One should ensure not to ride at night because this is the time when most accidents occur due to low visibility. Riders also need to take care of their surroundings and avoid bumping into stationary or moving objects that may cause an accident. Also, riders should always wear safety gear like helmets and knee pads to avoid any kind of injury.
Q: Who should not use Hoverboard?
A: Most people suffer from heart or back problems, as the pressure on these body parts is high while riding a hoverboard and may further deteriorate their conditions. Also, pregnant women should refrain from riding it as there might be a risk of falling and hurting the unborn child.
Q: Are Hoverboards dangerous?
A: Yes, Hoverboards can cause fire accidents in some cases due to overheating of batteries, although it is rare, users need to take safety precautions like never leaving their hoverboard plugged in when not using it or trying to charge it slowly. Always make sure to carry your charger along with you, don’t charge it overnight, or use an unoriginal charger which can be dangerous if not used properly.
Q: Is a Hoverboard safe for kids?
A: Yes, Hoverboards are safe for kids as long as they use them responsibly and follow safety guidelines. Also, make sure your kid wears safety gear like helmet and knee pads before getting on it to avoid any kind of accident.
Q: How do I avoid buying a faulty Hoverboard?
A: One should always buy from reliable sources like Amazon. Always read about the product description thoroughly before buying one as good quality items are expensive. Also, check the seller’s trustworthiness and read reviews before buying. One should avoid buying cheap products as they are most likely defective or hazardous in some way.
Q: What precautions should be taken while charging a Hoverboard?
A: One should always use a certified charger for their hoverboard as unoriginal or faulty chargers might cause a fire. Also, never leave your hoverboard plugged in when not using it as there might be a risk of fire accidents. Always make sure to carry the charger along with you and don’t charge it overnight under any circumstances.
Q: How long can Hoverboard run?
A: One can expect their hoverboards to last for a long time and they can run for 7-8 miles on a single charge. The mileage may vary depending on the weight of the user and surface conditions. However, if you properly maintain it then your hoverboard will surely last long.
Finally, it is vital that you read the safety guidelines for your hoverboard before using it. This way, you will be able to avoid any kind of injury or accident while riding on it. Also, if you are not sure about some safety guidelines then better consult an expert for more information. After reading this article, I hope you are familiar with: can hoverboards explode or not.